Report Pollution


  • To report a large spill or emergency situation, please immediately contact the City of Valparaiso Fire Department and Police at 911.
  • To report illicit discharges and illegal connections, please contact the City of Valparaiso MS4 program at 219-462-1161 or send an email to our Report-A-Polluter email hotline.
  • To report construction site issues, e.g. erosion and sediment control problems, please call the Engineering Department at 219-462-1161.
  • To report leaking sanitary sewer lines and other sanitary sewer related issues, please call the City Utilities at 219-462-6174.

If you are unsure who to call, please call the Police Department non-emergency number at 219-462-2135.

For general inquires feel free to contact City Hall at 219-462-1161.

Illicit Discharges & Illegal Connections

Illicit Discharge

An illicit discharge is an unlawful act of disposing dumping, spilling, emitting, or other discharge of any substance other than stormwater into the storm drain system; such as catch basins, yard inlet, or lakes and streams.

Examples of illicit discharges include:

  • Paint, oil, antifreeze, or other chemical being poured into or near a storm structure
  • Discarding yard waste, e.g. leaves and brush, in or near a storm structure
  • Draining chlorinated swimming pool water with more than one ppm residual chlorine in or near a storm structure
  • Water from a washing machine emptying into a yard

Solution - Alternative Disposal Methods:

  • Oil-based paints should be properly disposed at the Regional Household Waste Collection sites. Water-based paints that have completely dried can be disposed in regular garbage. Latex paint is now also accepted at collection sites.
  • Motor oil and other automotive fluids can be taken to many local auto parts stores or garages for recycling. They are also accepted at Household Waste Collection sites.
  • The city provides curbside pickup of brush and yard waste. Call Public Works Department at 219-462-4612 for more information.
  • Dechlorinate swimming pool water before it is discharged.

Illegal Connection

An illegal connection is an unlawful connection which allows the discharge of non-stormwater to the storm drain system or lakes and streams via pipe or other direct connection.

Examples of possible illegal connections include:

  • Floor drains going into the storm drain system
  • Wash water from laundromats or commercial carwashes tying into a storm drain system
  • Pipe from a washing machine tying into a storm drain structure
  • Sewer service pipe tying into a storm structure or emptying into local water bodies

Solution - Alternative Disposal Methods:

  • Have floor drains and washing machines properly connected to the sanitary sewer line. Call City Utilities at 219-462-6174 for more information
  • Many commercial car washes recycle their water, using it multiple times in early rinses before draining into the sanitary sewer line